Learning Outcomes for Political Science
The overall goal of the undergraduate major in Political Science is to develop citizens with the capacity to make informed decisions about politics and civic engagement in Canada and a global context.
By successfully completing the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Political Science, students will be able to accomplish the following:
- Understand the basic institutions and processes of government in Canada in a comparative/global context;
- Analyze and critically reflect on social and political trends and issues using a diverse range of theoretical perspectives and frameworks in political science;
- Evaluate power relations in the Canadian and global contexts and how those may be reflected or transformed by various governmental, legal, and societal institutions and actors;
- Effectively communicate an argument, particularly in writing, using evidence and be able to understand and critically analyze arguments and evidentiary claims made by others based on qualitative and/or quantitative data;
- Critically assess potential solutions to pressing political and socio-economic problems in Canada and the world.