Edward A. Koning
Find Related People by Keyword
Edward Koning (PhD, Queen’s University) is Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator in the Department of Political Science at the University of Guelph. Most of his research investigates the politics of immigration, specifically in North West Europe and North America.
His main interests are the politics of immigrants’ social rights and the role of populist anti-immigrant parties. He is the author of Immigration and the Politics of Welfare Exclusion (University of Toronto Press, 2019), and the creator of the Immigrant Exclusion from Social Programs Index. Some of his recent publications have appeared in Canadian Public Administration, Comparative European Politics, Journal of Elections, Public Opinion, and Parties, Journal of Public Policy, and Social Policy & Administration.
- E.A. Koning (2022) (ed.). The Exclusion of Immigrants from Western Welfare Programs. Cross-National Comparisons and Contemporary Developments. University of Toronto Press.
- E.A. Koning (2022). 'Welfare Chauvinist or Neoliberal Opposition to Immigrant Welfare? The Importance of Measurement in the Study of Welfare Chauvinism.' In M. Crepaz (ed.), Handbook on Migration and Welfare (pp. 156-174). Edward Elgar Publishing.
- E.A. Koning (2021). 'Social Protection of Citizenship Rights and Migration." In M. Giugni & M. Grasso (eds., Handbook on Citizenship and Migration (pp. 224-236). Edward Elgar Publishing.
- E.A. Koning (2021). ‘Accommodation and New Hurdles: The Increasing Importance of Politics for Immigrants’ Access to Social Programs.’ Social Policy & Administration, 55(5): 815-832.
- E.A. Koning (2020). ‘Breaking Through: How Anti-Immigrant Parties Establish Themselves and the Implications for their Study.’ Journal of Elections, Public Opinion, and Parties, published online June 22.
- E.A. Koning (2019). Immigration and the Politics of Welfare Exclusion: Selective Solidarity in Western Welfare States. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- C. Rivas-Garrido & E.A. Koning (2019). 'Evidence Slippage and Evidence Invention in the Politics of Foreign Credential Recognition in Canada.' Canadian Public Administration, 62(3): 413-434.
- E.A. Koning (2017). 'Selecting, Excluding, or Investing? Exporing Party and Voter Responses to Immigrant Welfare Dependence in 15 West European Welfare States.' Comparative European Politics, 15(4): 628-660.
- E.A. Koning (2017). 'Making Xenophobia Matter: The Consequences of the 2002 Elections for Dutch Immigration Politics.' In K.G. Banting & W. Kymlicka (eds.), The Strains of Commitment: The Sources of Solidarity in Diverse Societies (pp. 268-299). Oxford University Press.
- E.A. Koning (2016). ‘The Three Institutionalisms and Institutional Dynamics: Understanding Endogenous and Exogenous Change’. Journal of Public Policy, 36(4): 639-664.
Courses Edward is currently teaching:
- Political Inquiry and Research Methods (POLS 2650)
- European Politics and Government (POLS 3450)
- Comparative Politics and Policies of Immigration (POLS 4710)
- Communications (POLS 6900)
- Field Course in Comparative Politics (POLS 6830)
Courses Edward has taught in the past:
- Quantitative Methods of Data Analysis (POLS 3650)
- Citizenship and Social Policy (POLS 6400)